The Monument of King Edward III in Westminster Abbey
- undated, ca. 1726-1740
- Materials & Techniques:
- Engraving on medium smooth laid paper
- Sheet: 14 3/4 × 8 3/4 inches (37.5 × 22.2 cm), Image: 13 13/16 × 8 1/2 inches (35.1 × 21.6 cm)
Engraved inscription in cartouche lower center: "(in cursive) Upon the Verge of this Tomb beginning on the North side of the Foot"; lower center in cartouche: "Die decus Anglorum..."
Lettered below left: "Gravelot, del,"; below center: "The MONUMENT of King EDWARD III in Westminster Abbey"; below right: "C. DuBosc, fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | coats of arms | dragon | heraldic motifs | historical subject | kings (people) | monument | tomb
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | London | United Kingdom | Westminster Abbey
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Claude Du Bosc, c.1711–1740, The Monument of King Edward III in Westminster Abbey, undated, ca. 1726-1740
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.