Portrait of Whistler
- Additional Title(s):
Whistler's "Portrait of Himself"
- ca. 1888
- Etching, drypoint, and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 16 7/8 x 12 5/8 inches (42.8 x 32 cm), Plate: 12 15/16 x 8 7/8 inches (32.9 x 22.6 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 5/16 inches (22.2 x 18.5 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, center right: reproduction of Whistler's signature and butterfly mark; in graphite, lower right: "no 30. u[...]"
artist's stamp of Henri Guérard (Lugt 1157), in red ink, lower center
Lettered within image, lower left: "Whistler"; center left: "H. GUERARD. SC."
Signed in pen and black ink, lower left: "H Guérard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jeanne K. Welcher
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | collar | costume | hat | man | portrait | self-portrait
- Associated People:
- Whistler, James Abbott McNeill (1834–1903), painter and printmaker
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henri Charles Guérard, 1846–1897, French, Portrait of Whistler, ca. 1888
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.