Portrait of Whistler
- Additional Title(s):
Whistler's "Portrait of Himself"
- ca. 1888
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching, drypoint, and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige Japanese paper
- Sheet: 18 5/8 x 12 13/16 inches (47.3 x 32.5 cm), Plate: 12 15/16 x 8 7/8 inches (32.8 x 22.5 cm), Image: 8 11/16 x 7 1/4 inches (22.1 x 18.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, center right: reproduction of Whistler's signature and butterfly mark; in graphite, lower left: "Japon, tre(?) à 22, no 8 [...]"
Artist's stamp: Henri Guérard (Lugt 1157)
Lettered within image, lower left: "Whistler"; center left: "H. GUERARD. SC."
Signed in pen and black ink lower left: "H Guérard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jeanne K. Welcher
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | collar | hat | man | portrait | self-portrait
- Associated People:
- Whistler, James Abbott McNeill (1834–1903), painter and printmaker
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henri Charles Guérard, 1846–1897, French, Portrait of Whistler, ca. 1888
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.