Portrait of Whistler
- Additional Title(s):
Whistler's "Portrait of Himself"
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching, drypoint, aquatint and roulette, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 3/8 x 12 5/16 inches (44.1 x 31.3 cm), Plate: 13 x 8 13/16 inches (33 x 22.4 cm), Image: 8 3/4 x 7 3/16 inches (22.3 x 18.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "6eme stat avec la remaigne recommencer, tui à 3p, no. 17 [...]"
Artist's stamp: Henri Guérard (Lugt 1157)
Lettered within image, lower left: "Whistler"; center left: "H. GUERARD. SC."
Signed in pen and black ink, lower left: "H. Guérard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Jeanne K. Welcher
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | collar | hat | man | portrait | self-portrait
- Associated People:
- Whistler, James Abbott McNeill (1834–1903), painter and printmaker
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henri Charles Guérard, 1846–1897, French, Portrait of Whistler, 1888