- Robert Devereux, second Earl of Essex
- between 1616 and 1621
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 7 1/16 x 4 7/16 inches (18 x 11.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H., vol. 2, p. 371, no. 14, pl 235 (a) | (only state) | Earl + Henry playing in Tennis court, Dispute on print in game, Essex- insisting on rights. Henry called him one of a Traitor. Essex hit him over the head with racquet + | drew blood - became afterwards famous Parliamentary general - | Henry played after 3 or 4 hours at a time-"; on mount, lower right: "Anonymous engraver - Elstracke? | O. D. 20"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper right, in coat of arms: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; in frame surrounding portrait: "ILLVSTRISS9 D9 ROBERTUS DEVORAX COMES ESSEXIÆ QUONDAM ANGLIÆ MARISCALL9. etc."; lower center: "The most noble ROBERT Earle of Essex and | Ewe(?), Earle Marshall of England, Vicount | Hereford and Bourgcher, Lo: Ferres of Chartle(?) | Lo: Bourgcher & Lovayn, her Maties. Lieutenant and | Governour Generall of Ireland, & Knight of the | most noble Order of the Garter. | Co: Holland excu."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armor | beard | cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | cuffs | doublet | feathers | hat | livery collar | man | mustache | nobility | Order of the Garter | oval | pendant | portrait | reticella | shield
- Associated People:
- Devereux, Robert, second earl of Essex (1565–1601), soldier and politician
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, (Elstrack?), Robert Devereux, second Earl of Essex, between 1616 and 1621
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.