- Part Of:
- 1618 or 1628
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 9/16 x 7 1/16 inches (26.9 x 17.9 cm), Plate: 6 13/16 x 4 3/4 inches (17.3 x 12 cm), Image: 5 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches (13.9 x 11.5 cm)
Inscribed verso, in graphite, lower left: "58,"; lower right: "Elstracke?"; in brown ink, upper center: "J. Mather"; lower left to lower center: "Anonymous Engraver - Elstracke? | Hind. vol. II, p. 130, no. 20, pl. 61 (d) - Type BI"; lower right: "m £1-1-0 | O. D. 41"
Lettered within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS VIII D G ANGLIÆ GALLIÆ ET HIBERNIÆ REX / FIDEI DEFENSOR"; lower center: "The most high and mightie Prince HENRY | the VIII by the grace of God King of | England France and Ireland &c."; lower center, in coat of arms: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; lower right: "Are to be sold in Lombard Street by Hen: Balaam"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cap | cartouche | chain | coat of arms | costume | crest | crown | ermine | illustration | jewelry | jewels | king (person) | livery collar | man | mustache | orb | oval | pendant | portrait | ribbon | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry VIII (1491–1547), king of England and Ireland
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry VIII, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.