- Part Of:
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 7 3/16 x 4 1/2 inches (18.2 x 11.4 cm) and Image: 5 9/16 x 4 5/16 inches (14.1 x 11 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2, p 125, Baziliwologia Martin 1628 O. D. 1 | no. 11, pl. 57 (d) I"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in coat of arms: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; in frame surrounding portrait: "EDWARDUS III. D. G. ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX, DOMINUS HIBERNIÆ."; within image, upper right, in ribbon: "SAPIENTIA | FORTUNAM"; lower left: "Are to be Sold by Compton Holland over against th'exchange"; lower center: "The true pourtraicture of EDWARD iii. borne at Windfore, of | the age of 15 yeres was crowned at Westminster the 2 of Februarie | 1326. he took the tittle of King of France, as dew unto him, both by | Civill Lawe, and order of Succession: being the Nephew and next heir male | of K: Charles IIII. his mothers brother, in regard wherof he quartred | the armes of France with Englands. He raigned 50, yeres, 5 mo: | He died at the manor of Shene in Surrey. Ano. 1377. buried in Westminster."; lower right: "R. E. Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cap | cartouche | chain | coat of arms | costume | crest | crowns | ermine | illustration | jewels | king (person) | lion | livery collar | man | orb | oval | pendant | portrait | ribbon | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Edward III (1312–1377), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.