- Henry IV
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 6 7/8 x 4 1/2 inches (17.5 x 11.5 cm), Plate: 6 3/4 x 4 7/16 inches (17.2 x 11.2 cm), and Image: 5 9/16 x 4 3/16 inches (14.2 x 10.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "px"; on back, lower right: "£1-1-0"; on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2, p. 157; Baziliwologia Renold Elstracke, attributed to | no. 13, pl. 59(a) I Martin 1628 O. D. 9"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in coat of arms: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS QUARTUS ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX / DOMINUS HIBERNÆ. &c."; lower center: "The right noble Prince Henry the 4th. King of England and Fraunce: Lord of Ireland, &c. Who died at the age of 46 | yeares in Anno. 1413, after he had raigned 13 yeares, 6 moneths, and 4 dayes, and h'eth buried at Canterbury. | Are to be Sold by Comp: Holland over against the Exhange."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | crowns | embroidery | ermine | headdress | illustration | jewels | king (person) | livery collar | man | mustache | orb | oval | pendant | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry IV (1367–1413), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry IV, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.