- Part Of:
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 6 13/16 x 4 7/16 inches (17.3 x 11.3 cm) and Image: 6 11/16 x 4 5/16 inches (17 x 10.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Renold Elstracke, attributed to | H; 001.2, 0.1299, no. 18 | pl. 60 (c) I | Martin 1628"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in coat of arms: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "RICHARDUS TERRUS ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX/ DOMINUS HYBERNIÆ. erc."; lower center: "The portrait of RICHARD the 3, King of England, and Fraunce, | Lord of Ireland. He was Slaine at Bosworth feild, the 22th. of August. | 1486. and homelye buried at the Graye friers Church in Leicester, when he | had usurped 2 yeares 2 monthes and one day | Are to be sold by Compton Holland over against the Exchange"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- broken | cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | crowns | ermine | flowers (motifs) | illustration | jewels | king (person) | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Richard III (1452–1485), king of England and lord of Ireland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print attributed to Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Richard III, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.