- Henry III
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 7 1/16 x 4 7/16 inches (18 x 11.3 cm) and Image: 5 9/16 x 4 1/4 inches (14.1 x 10.8 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, lower left: "w-"; in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2, p. 124 Baziliwologia Martin 1628 O. D. 1 | no. 8. pl. 57(a) I"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper center, in ribbon: "DULCE | BELLUM | INEXPERTIS"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS III ANGLIÆ REX. D : AQUITAN : C : PICTAVIÆ ET ANDIGAV : DO : HIB :"; lower left: "Are to be Sold by Compton Holland over against th'exchange"; lower center: "HENRY the III. King of England: Duke of Aquitane, Earle | of Poictiers and Anjou, Lord of Ireland. He died at | the age of 65 yeares, after he had raigned 56 yeares and lieth intobed at Westminster. 1272."; lower right: "R. Elstrack Sc:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | brocade | cartouche | coats of arms | collar | costume | crests | crowns | embroidery | illustration | jewels | king (person) | man | mustache | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry III (1207–1272), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry III, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.