- Part Of:
Collective Title: Baziliologia, a Booke of Kings
Collective Title: The Historie and Lives of the Kings of England
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 7 1/16 × 4 7/16 inches (18 × 11.3 cm), Image: 5 9/16 × 4 1/4 inches (14.1 × 10.8 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, lower left: "w-"; in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2, p. 124 Baziliwologia Martin 1628 O. D. 1 | no. 8. pl. 57(a) I"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper center, in ribbon: "DULCE | BELLUM | INEXPERTIS"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS III ANGLIÆ REX. D : AQUITAN : C : PICTAVIÆ ET ANDIGAV : DO : HIB :"; lower left: "Are to be Sold by Compton Holland over against th'exchange"; lower center: "HENRY the III. King of England: Duke of Aquitane, Earle | of Poictiers and Anjou, Lord of Ireland. He died at | the age of 65 yeares, after he had raigned 56 yeares and lieth intobed at Westminster. 1272."; lower right: "R. Elstrack Sc:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | brocade | cartouche | coats of arms | collar | costume | crests | crowns | embroidery | illustration | jewels | king (person) | man | mustache | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry III (1207–1272), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry III, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.