- Part Of:
Collective Title: Baziliologia, a Booke of Kings
Collective Title: The Historie and Lives of the Kings of England
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 7 1/16 × 4 1/2 inches (17.9 × 11.4 cm), Image: 5 9/16 × 4 5/16 inches (14.1 × 10.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "H. vol. 2 p. 127 | no. 15. pl. 59 (c) I"; on back, lower center: "Baziliwologia Martin 1628"; on back, lower right: "O. D. 13"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in crest: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS VI. D. G. ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX . DOMINUS HIBERNIÆ ETc"; lower left: "Are to be Sold by Compton Holland over against the Exchange."; lower center: "HENRY the VI borne at Windsor being of the age of eight Monthes, | beganne his reigne the 31 of August 1422, and crowned King of | England at Westminster, the 6 of November, 1429. and of Fraunce | the 7 of December 1432. he reigned 38 yeres, 6 monthes, he died by | violence, May 21, aged 52. Ano 1471. first buried at Chertsey Abbey, thence | removed to Windfore, where he was solempley inter'd."; lower right: "R. E. Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | crowns | cuffs | ermine | feathers | illustration | jewels | king (person) | livery collar | man | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry VI (1421–1471), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry VI, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.