- Part Of:
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 7 1/16 x 4 1/2 inches (17.9 x 11.4 cm) and Image: 5 9/16 x 4 5/16 inches (14.1 x 10.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "H. vol. 2 p. 127 | no. 15. pl. 59 (c) I"; on back, lower center: "Baziliwologia Martin 1628"; on back, lower right: "O. D. 13"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in crest: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "HENRICUS VI. D. G. ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX . DOMINUS HIBERNIÆ ETc"; lower left: "Are to be Sold by Compton Holland over against the Exchange."; lower center: "HENRY the VI borne at Windsor being of the age of eight Monthes, | beganne his reigne the 31 of August 1422, and crowned King of | England at Westminster, the 6 of November, 1429. and of Fraunce | the 7 of December 1432. he reigned 38 yeres, 6 monthes, he died by | violence, May 21, aged 52. Ano 1471. first buried at Chertsey Abbey, thence | removed to Windfore, where he was solempley inter'd."; lower right: "R. E. Sculpsit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | crowns | cuffs | ermine | feathers | illustration | jewels | king (person) | livery collar | man | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry VI (1421–1471), king of England and lord of Ireland, and duke of Aquitaine
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.