- Part Of:
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 7 5/16 x 4 9/16 inches (18.5 x 11.6 cm) and Image: 7 3/16 x 4 1/2 inches (18.3 x 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2 - p. 128, Baziliwologia Martin 1628 O. D. 1 | no. 16, pl. 60 (a) I"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper left, in crest: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; within image, upper center, in crest: "EXPIABIT AUT OVRVET"; within image, upper right, in crest: "HIC HÆC HOC TACEATIS"; within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "EDWARDUS IIII. ANGLIÆ ET FRANCIÆ REX DOMIN9 HIBER:"; lower left: "R: Elstracke Sculpsit"; lower center: "The | right noble prince EDWARD the 4th King of | England, and Fraunce Lord of Ireland. He | raigned 22 yeares and 5 weekes. Died at the age | of 52 yeares : buried at Windsor. 1483."; lower right: "Are to be Sold by Compton | Holland over against th'exchange"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- brocade | bull | cap | cartouche | coats of arms | costume | crests | crowns | embroidery | ermine | fur | illustration | jewels | king (person) | lion | livery collar | man | orb | oval | pendant | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Edward IV (1442–1483), king of England and lord of Ireland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.