- Part Of:
- 1618 or 1628
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 7 x 4 1/2 inches (17.8 x 11.4 cm) and Image: 5 1/2 x 4 3/8 inches (14 x 11.1 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, lower left: "wx"; in graphite, on mount, lower center: "H. vol. 2 - Baziliwologia | p. 129, no. 19 Martin 1628 | Dl. 61 (b) I | Henry VII as Henry VIII played at Windsor(?) Tennis court - | added a brick front to court at Greenwich-"; lower right: "Renold Elstracke, attributed to | O. D. 8"
Lettered in black ink, within image, in frame surrounding portrait: "PRUDENTISS : PRIN : HENRICUS VII . D. G . ANGLIÆ / GALLIÆ ET HIBERNIÆ REX. etc."; lower center, in crest: "HONI · SOIT · QUI · MAL · Y · PENSE"; lower center: "The most Mighty and Prudent Prince | Henry the Seaventh by the grace of god | King of England Fraunce and Ireland etc. | Are to be Sold by Com: Holland over against the Exchange."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cap | cartouche | coat of arms | costume | crest | ermine | fleur-de-lis | fur | illustration | jewels | king (person) | livery collar | man | orb | oval | portrait | robe | royalty | scepter
- Associated People:
- Henry VII (1457–1509), king of England and lord of Ireland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Renold Elstrack, 1570–1625(?), British, Henry VII, 1618 or 1628
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.