- Thomas Sutton
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 12 5/8 x 9 1/2 inches (32 x 24.2 cm), Plate: 10 1/4 x 7 15/16 inches (26 x 20.1 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 7/8 inches (22.3 x 20 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "THOMAS SUTTON Armr. cujus unius Sumptibus. | Hospitium Regium) vulgo dictm: Charter House fundatum est | Hanc effigiem ex Archetypo apud idem Hospitm: reservato descriptam | Revdo: admodum in Christo Patri Joanni Episcopo Eliensi. | Ao. 1612"; lower right: "Humillime dicat | JoannesvFaber. Ao 1714."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | book | chair | coat of arms | crest | drapery | fur | interior | man | nobility | portrait | robe | ruff | scroll (information artifact) | shield | tassel
- Associated People:
- Sutton, Thomas (1532–1611), founder of the London Charterhouse
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, Thomas Sutton, 1714
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.