His Royal Highness Prince Frederick
- between 1716 and 1725
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 3/4 × 9 3/4 inches (34.9 × 24.8 cm), Image: 11 5/8 × 9 5/8 inches (29.5 × 24.4 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, upper left: "V[...]ith | 5-5048."; in graphite, on back, upper center: "See Mary Wortley Montague's letters"; in black ink, on back, lower left: "ht"; in graphite, on back, lower left: "e + 6"; in orange chalk, on back, lower right: "788"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "14-"; in brown ink, on back, lower right: "48004"
unidentified collector's stamp, in black ink, on back, center left: "SHI2(?)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Done from an Original Picture at St. James's"; lower center: "His Royal Highness Prince Frederick | Only Son to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales Install'd Knight | of the most Noble Order of the Garter at Hanover Decembr. the 24th, 1716. | Franken ad Vivum pinx. | Sold by E. Cooper at ye 3 pigeons in Bedford Street Covent Garden."; lower right: "Cum privilegio Regis I. Faber Iunr. fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bows (costume accessories) | boy | cape | chain | child | cloak | coat of arms | costume | cravat | crest | curls | lace | livery collar | portrait | prince | robe | royalty | sash | shield | The Most Noble Order of the Garter
- Associated People:
- Frederick Lewis, prince of Wales (1707–1751)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, His Royal Highness Prince Frederick, between 1716 and 1725
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.