Monsignor Alexandre's Characters in his Entertainment of the Devil on Two Sticks, or, Asmodeus in London
- ca. 1825
- Lithograph with watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Sheet: 12 15/16 x 17 13/16 inches (32.8 x 45.2 cm) and Image: 11 1/16 x 17 5/16 inches (28.1 x 43.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "2 /"; lower right: "274"
Lettered, along lower edge of image: "(names of characters)"; lower left: "Drawn on Stone by J. Frank;om from the original in the possession of M. Aexandre"; lower center: "MONS. ALEXANDRE'S | Characters in his Entertainment of the Devil on two Sticks. | or | ASMODEUS in LONDON."; lower right: "Allen's Lithog. | Dublin Published by MH & J.W. Allen, 32 Dame St."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection, Fry Print Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | animal | basket | bonnets | boxes | capes | carriage | children | costume | crowd | cuffs | devil | dog (animal) | feathers | fire | food | gaze | gesturing | hooves | humor | lamps (lighting device components) | love | lust | men | monkey (animal) | pipes | play | posing | religious and mythological subject | ruffs | soldiers | sticks | The Devil on Two Sticks (1707), novel | theater | tricorns | turban | women
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Franklin, c.1800–1868, Monsignor Alexandre's Characters in his Entertainment of the Devil on Two Sticks, or, Asmodeus in London, ca. 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.