Cries of London, Turnips and Carrots
- Colored stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 × 11 9/16 inches (39.7 × 29.3 cm) and Image: 14 1/4 × 11 1/4 inches (36.2 × 28.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "2 (circled)"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by F,, Wheatly, R.A. | Turnips & Carrots, ho."; lower center: "CRIES | of | LONDON | Plate 13 | London Pub.d as the Act directs May 1, 1797 by COlnaghi Sala & Co, No132 Pall Mall."; lower right: "Engraved by T,, Gaugain | Carottes & Navets."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection, Bequest of Doris M. Brixey
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | bonnet | carrots | cobblestones | donkey | dress | food | genre subject | labor | man | merchant | peasants | selling | steps | street | turnips | vegetables | woman | working
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Gaugain, 1748–1812, French, Cries of London, Turnips and Carrots, 1797