Turnips & Carrots ho
- Additional Title(s):
Cries of London, plate 13
Carottes & Navets.
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Color printed etching, aquatint, and stipple engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 1/4 × 12 7/8 inches (41.3 × 32.7 cm), Image: 13 7/8 × 10 3/4 inches (35.2 × 27.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, center top: "1"; lower left: "12926 13" | encircled "6"; lower center: "16 x 12 5/8"; lower right: "The rarest plate in the set."
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by F. Wheatley R.A."; lower right: "Engraved by T. Gaugain"; lower center: "CRIES | of | LONDON | Plate 13 | Turnips & Carrots, ho. | Carottes & Navets. | London pub'd as the Act directs May 1, 1797 by Colnaghi, Sala & Co., No.132 Pall Mall."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection, Bequest of Doris M. Brixey
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | bonnet | carrots | cobblestones | donkey | dress | food | genre subject | labor | man | merchant | peasants | selling | steps | street | turnips | vegetables | woman | working
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Gaugain, 1748–1812, French, Turnips & Carrots ho, 1797