Cries of London, Turnips and Carrots
- Colored stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 15 5/8 x 11 9/16 inches (39.7 x 29.3 cm) and Image: 14 1/4 x 11 1/4 inches (36.2 x 28.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "2 (circled)"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by F,, Wheatly, R.A. | Turnips & Carrots, ho."; lower center: "CRIES | of | LONDON | Plate 13 | London Pub.d as the Act directs May 1, 1797 by COlnaghi Sala & Co, No132 Pall Mall."; lower right: "Engraved by T,, Gaugain | Carottes & Navets."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection, Bequest of Doris M. Brixey
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | bonnet | carrots | cobblestones | donkey | dress | food | genre subject | labor | man | merchant | peasants | selling | steps | street | turnips | vegetables | woman | working
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Gaugain, 1748–1812, French, Cries of London, Turnips and Carrots, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.