The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 3, "Ode on the Spring."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 4, "Ode on the Spring."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink upper right: "3"; on verso in gray ink upper left: "4"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | babies | branches | flowers (plants) | grass | leaf | literary theme | lyre | man | men | mothers | nude | nudes | religious and mythological subject | roots | seasons | spring | star | text | trees | vines | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Painting Networks - Romantic and Victorian Watercolors (Chazen Museum of Art, 2012-09-22 - 2012-12-02) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
William Blake - His Art & Times (Art Gallery of Ontario, 1982-12-03 - 1983-02-06) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
William Blake - His Art & Times (Yale Center for British Art, 1982-09-15 - 1982-11-14) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine [ORBIS]
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Illustrated London News Historical Archive [ORBIS]