- The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 63, "The Bard."
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in black ink upper right: "11"; in graphite upper center: "+"; on verso in gray ink upper left: "12"; in graphite center: "+"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angels | armor | book | clouds | crown (costume component) | feather | helmets | knight (landholder) | literary theme | men | men | princess | queen (person) | religious and mythological subject | stairs | star | text | wings | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p. 27, Available online : Sunday Times Digital Archive
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Blake, 1757–1827, British, The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 63, "The Bard.", between 1797 and 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.