The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 9, "Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat."
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 10, "Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat."
- Part Of:
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink upper right: "3"; in graphite center: "+"; on verso in gray ink upper left: "4"; in graphite center: "+"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cat (domestic cat) | children | fish | flowers (plants) | literary theme | scissors | text | vines | water | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine [ORBIS]
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p.27, Sunday Times Digital Archive [ORBIS]
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Illustrated London News Historical Archive [ORBIS]
Arnold Fawcus, William Blake's Watercolour Designs Illustrating Gray's Poems - and Mr. Paul Mellon, Connoisseur, vol. 179,no. 719, January 1972, pp. 13, 14, fig. 3, N1 C75 + (YCBA) Another copy inckuded in Vertical File Collection : V 2335 [YCBA]