- The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 9, "Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat."
- between 1797 and 1798
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with inlaid letterpress page
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 12 3/4 inches (41.9 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink upper right: "3"; in graphite center: "+"; on verso in gray ink upper left: "4"; in graphite center: "+"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cat (domestic cat) | children | fish | flowers (plants) | literary theme | scissors | text | vines | water | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Colin Cross, Blake revealed, William Blake : Discovery of a Masterwork , Observer, vol. 12, November 21, 1971, pp. 19-23, V 1245 Detached from Observer colour magazine
John Russell, Blake the Craftsman, Art , Sunday Times, Issue no. 7749, December 12, 1971, p.27, Available online : Sunday Times Digital Archive
Arnold Fawcus, William Blake's Watercolour Designs Illustrating Gray's Poems - and Mr. Paul Mellon, Connoisseur, vol. 179,no. 719, January 1972, pp. 13, 14, fig. 3, N1 C75 + (YCBA) Another copy inckuded in Vertical File Collection : V 2335
Arnold Fawcus, Unknown Watercolours by William Blake, Illustrated London News, vol. 259, No. 6881, December 25, 1971, pp. 45-46, 49-51, Available online: Illus London News Hist. Archiv
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Blake, 1757–1827, British, The Poems of Thomas Gray, Design 9, "Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat.", between 1797 and 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.