The Mew Stone. Entrance of Plymouth Sound
- Part Of:
- Etching and engraving on thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper, with chine collé
- Sheet: 11 × 16 5/16 inches (27.9 × 41.4 cm), Plate: 8 15/16 × 11 15/16 inches (22.7 × 30.3 cm), Chine collé: 8 7/8 × 11 3/4 inches (22.5 × 29.8 cm), and Image: 6 1/4 × 9 7/16 inches (15.9 × 24 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.97"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Engraver's Proof"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Engravers proof (rare in this state)"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "£220 | (Bloomsbury, [...] Aug 48"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner. Esq. R.A. | The Mew Stone. Entrance of Plymouth Sound."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W.B. Cooke 1815."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | island | sound
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | Europe | Great Mew Stone | Plymouth Sound | United Kingdom | Wembury Bay
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, The Mew Stone. Entrance of Plymouth Sound, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.