- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving; engraver's proof on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper with chine-collé
- Sheet: 11 1/8 × 16 1/2 inches (28.3 × 41.9 cm), Plate: 10 1/8 × 13 3/4 inches (25.7 × 34.9 cm), Chine collé: 9 7/8 × 13 3/8 inches (25.1 × 34 cm), and Image: 7 3/4 × 11 1/2 inches (19.7 × 29.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.137"; lower center: "Engraver's Proof."; inscribed on verso in black ink, lower left: "14793"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "graves of [...] Mall."; lower center: "Engraver's Proof Rivers of Devon."
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner. R.A. | Engraved by W.B. Cooke. 1821. | Plymouth Citadel | London Published March 1, 1823 by W.B. Cooke. 9. Soho Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- citadel | landscape (representation) | marine art | martello tower | sound
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | English Channel | Europe | Mount Batten Tower | Plymouth | Plymouth Sound | The Royal Citadel | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Plymouth Citadel, 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.