The Rialto, Venice
- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 11/16 × 15 3/16 inches (27.1 × 38.6 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), Image: 5 5/8 × 8 11/16 inches (14.3 × 22.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.144"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Hakewell's "Picturesque Tour of Italy" [feb]1820"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "(R... May 32):
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A., from a Sketch by J. Hakewell."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by Jon Pye."; lettered, lower center: "The Rialto, | Venice. | Publish;d as the Act directs, July 1, 1820, by John Murray, Albemarle Strret, London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | bridge | church | cityscape
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Grand Canal | Italy | Ponte di Rialto | San Bartolomeo church | Veneto | Venezia
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Pye, 1782–1874, British, The Rialto, Venice, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.