- Rome, Bridge and Castle of St. Angelo on the Tyber
- Line engraving and etching on medium, smooth, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 14 13/16 inches (27.3 × 37.6 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 5 1/2 × 8 5/8 inches (14 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.147"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Hakewills Italy, 1820"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "1818"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "([...] May 43)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A. from a finish'd sketch by James Hakewill."; lettered, lower center: "Rome. | Bridge & Castle of St. Angelo, on the Tyber. | Published as the act directs. Oct. 1 1818, by John Murray, Albermarle Str. London."; lettered, lower right: "Engrav'd by George Hollis."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Hollis, 1792–1842, British, Rome, Bridge and Castle of St. Angelo on the Tyber, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.