Egglestone Abbey, near Barnard Castle
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 1/4 × 17 3/4 inches (28.6 × 45.1 cm), Plate: 10 7/8 × 17 3/8 inches (27.6 × 44.1 cm), Chine collé: 10 1/2 × 17 1/8 inches (26.7 × 43.5 cm), Image: 7 3/8 × 10 5/8 inches (18.7 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.174"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Whitaker's Richmondshire"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "1822 [?] W. Jan 1840"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "Egglestone Abbey, near Barnard Castle. | Published Decr. 1822 by Longman Hurst & Paternoster Row, and Hurst, Robinson & Co. Cheapside London."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by T. Higham."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | landscape (representation) | river | ruin
- Associated Places:
- Bowes | Durham | Egglestone Abbey | England | Tees | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Higham, 1796–1844, British, Egglestone Abbey, near Barnard Castle, 1818-1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.