- Views in the Levant: The Columns of Augustus at Brundisium
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, gray ink, and graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream, laid paper, mounted on moderately thick, smooth, brown, wove paper
- Sheet: 16 5/16 × 10 3/8 inches (41.4 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "THE COLUMNS OF AUGUSTUS AT BRUNDUSIUM. | Anciently Lights were placed on these columns to shew the | communication between the harbours. | 10 20 30 40 feet"; inscribed in pen with red ink, lower center: "Taken on the spot March 4, 1785. Willey Reveley f."
Signed, and dated with pen in red ink, lower center: "March 4, 1785. Willey Reveley"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | column (architectural element) | rooftops
- Associated Places:
- Apulia | Brindisi | Brindisi | Brundisium | Europe | Italia | Puglia
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Windows on that world, essays on British art presented to Brian Allen , The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, London, 2012, pp. 164-67, fig. 91, N6766 .W56 2012 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Willey Reveley, 1760–1799, British, Views in the Levant: The Columns of Augustus at Brundisium, 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.