Views in the Levant: The Columns of Augustus at Brundisium
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, gray ink, and graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 5/16 × 10 3/8 inches (41.4 × 26.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "THE COLUMNS OF AUGUSTUS AT BRUNDUSIUM. | Anciently Lights were placed on these columns to shew the | communication between the harbours. | 10 20 30 40 feet"; inscribed in pen with red ink, lower center: "Taken on the spot March 4, 1785. Willey Reveley f."
Signed dated in pen and red ink, lower center: "March 4, 1785. Willey Reveley"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | column (architectural element) | rooftops
- Associated Places:
- Apulia | Brindisi | Brindisi | Brundisium | Europe | Italy | Puglia
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Windows on that world, essays on British art presented to Brian Allen , The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, London, 2012, pp. 164-67, fig. 91, N6766 .W56 2012 (YCBA) [YCBA]