St. Catherine's Hill, near Guildford, Surrey
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, 2nd state on thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 11/16 × 14 15/16 inches (27.1 × 37.9 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 × 12 1/2 inches (25.2 × 31.8 cm), Chine collé: 9 9/16 × 12 3/16 inches (24.3 × 31 cm), Image: 6 5/16 × 9 5/8 inches (16 × 24.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.261"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Second state"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Picturesque Views in England & Wales"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Second State"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "53"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner, R.A."; lettered, lower center: "St. Catharine's Hill, near Guildford, | Surrey | London, Published 1832, for the Proprietor, by Moon, Boys & Graves, Pall Mall."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.H.Kernot. | Printed by McQueen"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barrel | boy | carriage | celebration | chapel | cloud | crowd | Drum | drummer | embracing | flag | girl | hill | horse | infant | landscape | man | pig | pilgrimage | religious and mythological subject | road | ruins | sign | tent | valley (landform) | woman
- Associated Places:
- Artington | England | Guildford | Pilgrims' Way | St. Catherine's Chapel | St. Catherine's Hill | Surrey | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James H. Kernot, active early 19th century, St. Catherine's Hill, near Guildford, Surrey, 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.