- Leicester Abbey
- Line engraving and etching, 2nd state on moderately thick, sligltly textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 15 inches (27.3 × 38.1 cm), Plate: 9 7/16 × 12 3/16 inches (24 × 31 cm), Chine collé: 9 3/16 × 11 7/8 inches (23.3 × 30.2 cm), and Image: 5 7/8 × 9 5/16 inches (14.9 × 23.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.280"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Second state"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Picturesque views in England & Wales"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Second state"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "(TW Jan 48) 72"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "Leicester Abbey, | Leicestershire. | London, Published 1834, by Moon, Boys & Graves, 6, Pall Mall."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W.R.Smith | Printed by McQueen."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cloud | cow | distant view | dog | field | fog | girl | grazing | horse | landscape | man | moon | reflection | religious and mythological subject | river | riverbank | rock | ruins | sheep | tidal wave | tree | water
- Associated Places:
- England | Leicester | Leicester Abbey | Leicestershire | River Soar | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
W. R. Smith, active 1819–1851, Leicester Abbey, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.