Time Smoking a Picture
- early 1800s
- Line engraving, etching, and mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 17 11/16 x 10 15/16 inches (45 x 27.8 cm), Plate (left side cropped off): 9 15/16 x 7 11/16 inches (25.3 x 19.6 cm), and Image: 7 7/8 x 6 5/8 inches (20 x 16.9 cm)
collector's stamp of Yale University Gallery of Fine Arts, in brown ink, on back, lower right, in box: "YALE UNI | VERSITY | GALLERY | OF FINE | ARTS"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "_ As statues moulder into Worth. P. W."; lower left: "[partially cut off] Robinson, Pater noster-row, London."; lower center: "To Nature and your Self appearl, | Nor learn of others what to feel. Anon."; lower right: "Engrav'd by T. Cook."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Chauncey B. Tinker, B.A. 1899
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- commentary | devil | easel | horn | landscape | nude | painting (visual work) | personification | pipe (smoking equipment) | religious and mythological subject | satire | sculptures | scythe | skull (skeleton component) | smoke | smoking (activity) | statues | tear | time | urn | varnish | wings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Cook, 1744–1818, British, Time Smoking a Picture, early 1800s
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.