- Time Smoking a Picture
- early 1800s
- Line engraving, etching, and mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 17 11/16 x 10 15/16 inches (45 x 27.8 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 7 11/16 inches (25.3 x 19.6 cm), and Image: 7 7/8 x 6 5/8 inches (20 x 16.9 cm)
collector's stamp of Yale University Gallery of Fine Arts, in brown ink, on back, lower right, in box: "YALE UNI | VERSITY | GALLERY | OF FINE | ARTS"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "_ As statues moulder into Worth. P. W."; lower left: "[partially cut off] Robinson, Pater noster-row, London."; lower center: "To Nature and your Self appearl, | Nor learn of others what to feel. Anon."; lower right: "Engrav'd by T. Cook."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Chauncey B. Tinker, B.A. 1899
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- commentary | devil | easel | horn | landscape | nude | painting (visual work) | personification | pipe (smoking equipment) | religious and mythological subject | satire | sculptures | scythe | skull (skeleton component) | smoke | smoking | statues | tear | time | urn | varnish | wings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Cook, 1744–1818, British, Time Smoking a Picture, early 1800s
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.