- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, 1st state on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 1/16 × 13 11/16 inches (25.6 × 34.8 cm), Plate: 8 7/8 × 12 9/16 inches (22.5 × 31.9 cm), Chine collé: 8 1/4 × 12 5/16 inches (21 × 31.3 cm), and Image: 6 13/16 × 10 inches (17.3 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.309"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.309"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "First state"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "Turner - Allen Proposed East Coast"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "1st state of Holloway's reprint from the unpublished plate"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "Dunwich (Bloomsbury [...] Aug 48)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.C. Allen""
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | landscape (representation) | marine art | sea
- Associated Places:
- All Saints Church Ruins | Dunwich | England | North Sea | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James C. Allen, active 1821–1831, British, Dunwich, 1819-1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.