Benjamin West, Esqr.
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 3/16 x 11 3/4 inches (41.1 x 29.8 cm), Plate: 13 3/4 x 9 5/8 inches (35 x 24.5 cm), Image: 11 7/8 x 9 5/8 inches (30.1 x 24.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[...] Maxwell"; on back, lower left: "Ist state | 3/4"; on back, lower center: "LIBRARY TRANSFER"; on back, lower right: "98310"
Collector's mark, verso: Frederic Robert Halsey (Lugt 1308); collector's mark: Yale University Art Gallery (Lugt 2667c)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "A. Robertson pinxt."; lower center: "BENJAMIN WEST Esqr. | PRESIDENT of the ROYAL ACADEMY and HISTORICAL PAINTER to HIS MAJESTY. | From a Miniature of the same size in his possession | Published May 10. 1804, by A. Robertson No. 16, Cecil Street, Strand."; lower right: "G. Dawe Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | coat | cravat | holding | man | portrait | scroll (information artifact)
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Dawe, 1781–1829, British, Benjamin West, Esqr, 1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.