- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as Nature
Lady Hamilton as Sensibility
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 3/8 x 13 9/16 inches (44.2 x 34.4 cm), Plate: 14 15/16 x 11 7/16 inches (38 x 29 cm), and Image: 12 5/8 x 9 13/16 inches (32.1 x 25 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "221 | 318"; on back, center: "/mch JM a[...]k | M,6 | 18 1/2 x 14 1/4"; on back, lower right: "From the Adington Lake(?) | [...] FSRG(?)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by George Romney."; lower center: "SENSIBILITY. | Publish'd March 25th. 1789, by John & Josiah Boydell, No. 90, Cheapside London."; lower right: "Engrav'd by Rd. Earlom."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | gesture | gown | headscarf | hills | muslin | pedestal | personification | reaching | religious and mythological subject | robe | sash | trees | urn | woman
- Associated People:
- Hamilton, Emma, Lady Hamilton (bap. 1765, d. 1815), social celebrity and artist's model
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, Sensibility, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.