- Additional Title(s):
Lady Hamilton as Nature
Lady Hamilton as Sensibility
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 17 3/8 x 13 9/16 inches (44.2 x 34.4 cm), 14 15/16 x 11 7/16 inches (38 x 29 cm), and 12 5/8 x 9 13/16 inches (32.1 x 25 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "221 | 318"; on back, center: "/mch JM a[...]k | M,6 | 18 1/2 x 14 1/4"; on back, lower right: "From the Adington Lake(?) | [...] FSRG(?)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by George Romney."; lower center: "SENSIBILITY. | Publish'd March 25th. 1789, by John & Josiah Boydell, No. 90, Cheapside London."; lower right: "Engrav'd by Rd. Earlom."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | gesture | gown | headscarf | hills | muslin | pedestal | personification | reaching | religious and mythological subject | robe | sash | trees | urn | woman
- Associated People:
- Hamilton, Emma, Lady Hamilton (bap. 1765, d. 1815), social celebrity and artist's model
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, Sensibility, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.