St. Augustine's Gate, Canterbury
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 15 15/16 × 20 15/16 inches (40.5 × 53.2 cm) and 13 7/8 × 20 3/16 inches (35.2 × 51.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "K 15967"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower right: "MRooker A Pinxt."; lower left: "Painted by M,, A: Rooker, A: | Antiquities, No: 5."; lower center: "St: Augustine's Gate, Canterbury. | Publish'd Octr: 16th: 1779, by V: Green, Mezzotinto Engraver, to his Majesty, and to the Elector Palatine, No: 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street."; lower right: "Engrav'd by V: Green, & F. Jukes"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | barrels | boy | buildings | cattle | child | cows | dog (animal) | fence | gatehouse | genre subject | man | path | running
- Associated Places:
- Canterbury | England | Kent | St. Augustine's Abbey | St. Augustine's Gate | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, St. Augustine's Gate, Canterbury, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.