- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, smooth, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 13 x 7 5/16 inches (33 x 18.6 cm) and Image: 10 1/2 x 7 inches (26.7 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, upper center: German inscription, indecipherable; in graphite, on back, lower center: "Henry More, | Poet, Author of Divine DIalogues etc | Born 1614 died 1687 | Engraved by Fiathorne from his own design | 'Scarce' (Evan's catalogue) | (triangle image)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "W. Faithorne dil: et Sculp:"; lower center: "Henrici Mori Cantabrigoensis S. S. T. D. Effigies. A. AE. 61. | Pra(e?) omni Custodia Serva cortuum quia exipso sunt Vitarum Egressus. | M. Antonius. Med. lin. 10. (?Io) | O Chara ANima quando una eris et nuda et simplex. | S. Paulus i. ad. Cor. c. 16. | OMNIA VESTRA FIANT IN CHARITATE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. William L. Harkness
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- author | belt | cane | church | collar | fishing | flowers (plants) | gloves | hat | hills | landscape | philosopher | poet | portrait | river | robe | tassels | theologian | tree | vines
- Associated People:
- More, Henry (1614–1687), philosopher, poet, and theologian
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, ca. 1620–1691, British, Henry More, 1675
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.