- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, smooth, beige laid paper
- 13 x 7 5/16 inches (33 x 18.6 cm) and 10 1/2 x 7 inches (26.7 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, upper center: German inscription, indecipherable; in graphite, on back, lower center: "Henry More, | Poet, Author of Divine DIalogues etc | Born 1614 died 1687 | Engraved by Fiathorne from his own design | 'Scarce' (Evan's catalogue) | (triangle image)"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "W. Faithorne dil: et Sculp:"; lower center: "Henrici Mori Cantabrigoensis S. S. T. D. Effigies. A. AE. 61. | Pra(e?) omni Custodia Serva cortuum quia exipso sunt Vitarum Egressus. | M. Antonius. Med. lin. 10. (?Io) | O Chara ANima quando una eris et nuda et simplex. | S. Paulus i. ad. Cor. c. 16. | OMNIA VESTRA FIANT IN CHARITATE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. William L. Harkness
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- author | belt | Cambridge Platonists (active 1630s–1680s) | cane | church | collar | fields | fishing | flowers (plants) | gaze | gloves | hat | hills | landscape | philosopher | poet | portrait | posing | river | robe | sitting | solemn | tassels | theologian | thoughtful | tree | vines
- Associated People:
- More, Henry (1614–1687), philosopher, poet, and theologian
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Faithorne, ca. 1620–1691, British, Henry More, 1675
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.