- The Monmouth of 64 Guns, taking the Foudroyant a French Man of War of 84 Guns on the 28th of Feb. 1758 in the Mediterranean,....
- ca. 1760
- Line engraving and etching with hand colored ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 5/8 x 21 1/16 inches (37.1 x 53.5 cm), Plate: 13 3/16 x 18 3/8 inches (33.5 x 46.7 cm), and Image: 11 5/8 x 17 11/16 inches (29.5 x 45 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "A/- | S (?or 5) 4372"
Lettered, in black ink, upper right: "2"; lower left under image: "The Monmouth of 64 Guns, taking the Foudroyant a French Man o fWar of 84 Guns on the 18th,, of Feb,, | 1758,in the Mediterranean. _______ | In this Action the English had 30 kill'd (including the Gallant Commander) & so Wounded, the French | 50 kill'd & 150 Wounded. N.B. The Monmouth Carries 12 & 23 Pounders. The Foudroyant 24 & 42. _______"; lower right under image: "(Same text translated into French)"; lower left: "Francis Swain Pinx."; lower center: "Rob.t Sayer at the Golden Buck in Fleet Street and Hen. Parker, opposite Birchin Lane in Cornhikk."; lower right: "2".
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- battle | cannons | clouds | destruction | flags | man-of-war | marine art | men-of-war | military art | moon | moonlight | naval ships | night | ocean | raft | sails | ships | shipwreck | warships
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Peter P. Benazech, 1767–1794, The Monmouth of 64 Guns, taking the Foudroyant a French Man of War of 84 Guns on the 28th of Feb. 1758 in the Mediterranean,..., ca. 1760
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.