IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Robert John Gibbings, 1889–1958, British, On the Slip (Gutting Herrings), 1923
On the Slip (Gutting Herrings)
- Woodcut on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 7/16 x 8 1/16 inches (26.5 x 20.5 cm), Image: 6 13/16 x 4 15/16 inches (17.3 x 12.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left under image: "4.25"; lower left: " 'Gutting Herrings' 2 1/2 - 3 9(circled) card 2(circled) 11 x 13 1/2 $"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "R"; lower right inside image: "G"
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Robert J Gibbings"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Bequest of Frank Altschul, Yale BA 1908, Yale PhD (HON.) 1967
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | docks | fish | fishing | genre subject | gutting fish | hats | herrings | houses | labor | men | sitting | working
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.