- Out of Study Window
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 x 14 5/16 inches (24.8 x 36.3 cm), Plate: 4 1/4 x 10 3/16 inches (10.8 x 25.9 cm), and Image: 4 1/4 x 10 3/16 inches (10.8 x 25.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right, written diagonally upwards: "83" (underlined); inscribed in graphite, center right: an arrow pointing downwards; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Mons. <Ja[...]> Michelin | S. Haden"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "H. 18 | Trial C | Out of my study window." ("Trial C" is inserted above the main line of text); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[?OJ]635.225"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "C. 8901"; inscribed in graphite, upper left on back: "<38> | 83" (underlined); inscribed in brown ink, upper right to lower right on back, written vertically downwards: "[?No] = 8096. | [?Chillier] - [?Arnulie]"; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "une des trois epreuves [sic] tirees avant [?lu] [?separation] | Vente Michelin No 396"
Marked in green ink, lower right: "CH. JACQUIN" stamped (this is the collector's mark of Ch. Jacquin); marked in pink ink, center on back: "J.M." stamped; marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield); marked in pink ink, lower left on back: "J.M." stamped
Lettered lower left within image: "Out of Study Window. | H"; lettered lower left on back, on clipping affixed to sheet: "396 - Vue prise d'une fenêtre de la maison de | l'artiste. Out of Study Window (17). | Superbe épreuve, sur papier ancien; l'une des trois épreuves | tirées avant la signature, avec la mention: «Mons. Michelin, | Seymour Haden»."; lettered lower left on back, on back of clipping affixed to sheet: "Trois pièces: belles épreuves d'artiste. | GRENAUD (H.) | 388 - Suite d'eaux fortes: Portraits, Paysages | Onze pièces dans la couverture: très belles épreuves d'artiste."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | city | cityscape | clouds | distance | landscape | rooftops | sky | skyline | spires | steeples | towers | trees
- Associated Places:
- Brompton | Chelsea | England | Europe | Kensington | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Out of Study Window, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.