- Additional Title(s):
Combe Bottom Going Up to Fold
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, light blue laid paper
- Sheet: 7 11/16 x 12 1/2 inches (19.6 x 31.7 cm), Plate: 4 7/16 x 5 15/16 inches (11.3 x 15.1 cm), and Image: 4 7/16 x 5 15/16 inches (11.3 x 15.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite in Francis Seymour Haden's hand, lower left: "It is undoubtedly, I find, | a trial of Combe Bottom - | must be the only one | S. H."; inscribed in graphite in Francis Seymour Haden's hand, lower center: "I have not the least [?remembering] of this plate. It is of the same size + | was | probably | done at the same time as [?the] [?Welsh] plate and abandoned - I hope the plate does not exist | S. H."; inscribed in graphite in Howard Mansfield's hand, lower left: "[Written in 1892.] | H.M."; inscribed in graphite in Howard Mansfield's hand, lower center to lower right: "It bears the date and is of the same size of the Combe Bottom plate; and | so closely represents the same subject that it seems to me possibly an early state of that plate. | The Welsh plates were done in 1864. | H.M."; inscribed in graphite in Howard Mansfield's hand, lower right: "[Written in 1889] | H.M."; inscribed in graphite in Howard Mansfield's hand, lower right: "Not described"
Marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield)
Lettered lower right within image: "S. Haden. 1860"
Signed in graphite, lower left below image: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bushes | fisherman | fishing | fishing rod | foliage | grass | hillocks | knolls | landscape | leaves | shrubs | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Shere | Surrey | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.