Portrait of Francis Seymour Haden, no. 2 (while Etching)
- Former Title(s):
- Additional Title(s):
Portrait of Seymour Haden
- Etching and drypoint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 5/16 x 17 11/16 inches (28.7 x 45 cm), Plate: 7 11/16 x 10 9/16 inches (19.6 x 26.8 cm), and Image: 7 11/16 x 10 9/16 inches (19.6 x 26.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "not in Drake H 41 Trial [?G]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back, written vertically downwards: "1951.16.22"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "[?WDC]."
Marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield)
Lettered lower right within image: "[...] [...] [...] | [...] [...] ad [...] | F. Seymour Haden ad [...] delineavit. 1862"
Signed in graphite, lower left below image: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- acid | artist | bottles | burin | corks | drawing | etcher | gravers: printmaking tools | ground | ink | liquid | paper | pen | plate | portrait | solution | stoppers (container components) | stylus | table
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Portrait of Francis Seymour Haden, no. 2 (while Etching), 1862
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.