The Two Asses
- Additional Title(s):
The Two Donkeys
Les Deux Ânes
- Etching and drypoint on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/16 x 6 7/8 inches (28.1 x 17.5 cm), Plate: 6 x 3 3/8 inches (15.3 x 8.5 cm), and Image: 6 x 3 3/8 inches (15.3 x 8.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left, written vertically downwards: "16"; inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower center: "H 50 II The Two Asses."; inscribed in graphite, lower center: (arrow pointing left towards Francis Seymour Haden's initials) "Initialed by F S Haden March 1867 | [?as] bon à [...] F Goulding [?Printer]."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "c. [...]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "2" (encircled); inscribed in pale brown ink, lower left on back: "[?Hall] 189."; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "1"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back, written upside down: "1965.118.10"
Marked in black ink, center on back, stamped upside down: "B" stamped within a cube shape (this is the collector's mark of Gordon A Block)
Lettered lower left to lower right within image: "This plate is a part of the square one wh. follows it. Both | were drawn and bitten under the Mordant and afterwards | cut. The balance wd. have been better preserved if the | division had not been made, and if this white space | had been filled in with strong work as intended."
Signed in graphite, lower left: "F.S.H ."; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | donkeys | foliage | landscape | leaves | light | shadows | text | trees
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Ireland | Tipperary
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.