The Two Asses
- Additional Title(s):
The Two Donkeys
Les Deux Ânes
- Etching and drypoint on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 x 6 7/8in. (26.4 x 17.5cm), Plate: 6 x 3 3/8 inches (15.3 x 8.5 cm), Image: 6 x 3 3/8 inches (15.3 x 8.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower center: "H50III"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "[?C]3" (encircled); inscribed in graphite, lower left on back, written upside down: "1965.118.11"
Marked in black ink, center on back, stamped upside down: "B" stamped within a cube shape (this is the collector's mark of Gordon A Block); marked in pale red ink, lower left on back: "A C" stamped within a rectangle (this is the collector's mark of A Chariatte)
Lettered lower left to lower right within image: "This plate is a part of the square one wh. follows it. Both | were drawn and bitten under the Mordant and afterwards | cut. The balance wd. have been better preserved if the | division had not been made, and if this white space | had been filled in with strong work as intended. | S. H."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | donkeys | foliage | landscape | leaves | light | shadows | text | trees
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Ireland | Tipperary
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, The Two Asses, 1863
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.