- Whistler's House at Old Chelsea
- Etching and drypoint on moderately thick, smooth, cream Asian paper
- Sheet: 7 7/8 x 13 7/8 inches (20 x 35.2 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (17.7 x 33.4 cm), and Image: 6 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (17.7 x 33.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite in Francis Seymour Haden's hand, lower left: "Whistler's House - D. [?47] [?1st] state"; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower right: "To"
Marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield)
Lettered lower left within image: "Whistler's House at Old Chelsea Seymour Haden [?fr.] [?an]. 1863." (partially underlined)
Signed in graphite, lower right below image: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | bridge (built work) | children | cityscape | fishing | genre subject | harbour | houses | masts | mooring | oars | people | river | rocks (landforms) | rods | rowing | shore (landform) | smoke | trees
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Europe | London | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Whistler's House at Old Chelsea, 1863
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.