IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Whistler's House at Old Chelsea, 1863
Whistler's House at Old Chelsea
- Former Title(s):
Whistler's House, Chelsea
- Additional Title(s):
Whistler's House, Old Chelsea
Le Faubourg de Vieux-Chelsea
À Old Chelsea
- Part Of:
- Etching and drypoint on moderately thick, smooth, cream Asian paper
- Sheet: 7 7/8 x 13 7/8 inches (20 x 35.2 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (17.7 x 33.4 cm), Image: 6 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (17.7 x 33.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite in Francis Seymour Haden's hand, lower left: "Whistler's House - D. [?47] [?1st] state"; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower right: "To"
Marked in blue ink, lower left on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (this is the collector's mark of Howard Mansfield)
Lettered lower left within image: "Whistler's House at Old Chelsea Seymour Haden [?fr.] [?an]. 1863." (partially underlined)
Signed in graphite, lower right below image: "Seymour Haden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | bridge (built work) | children | cityscape | fishing | genre subject | harbour | houses | masts | mooring | oars | people | river | rocks (landforms) | rods | rowing | shore (landform) | smoke | trees
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Europe | London | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.