- Sunset on the Thames
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 6 1/2 x 8 5/8 inches (16.5 x 21.9 cm), Plate: 5 5/16 x 8 3/8 inches (13.5 x 21.3 cm), and Image: 5 5/16 x 8 3/8 inches (13.5 x 21.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "66"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "4300"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "[?A] 78172"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "FYX."; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "1[?st] state | D 83"
Marked in purple ink, lower right on back: "F. S. H.", encircled and stamped (this mark refers to Francis Seymour Haden)
Lettered lower right within image: "Seymour Haden [...] [...] 186[...]" (date obscured at the edge of the plate)
Signed in graphite, lower right below image: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Bequest of Thomas W. Farnam, B.A. 1899
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- banks | barges | boats | buildings | cityscape | clouds | landscape | marine art | masts | reflections | river | sails | seaman | shadows | shorelines | sun | sunset | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Sunset on the Thames, 1865
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.