- Ô Laborum
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, smooth, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 5/8 x 9 5/8 inches (19.4 x 24.4 cm), Plate: 5 7/16 x 8 3/8 inches (13.8 x 21.2 cm), and Image: 5 7/16 x 8 3/8 inches (13.8 x 21.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "before | Trial B"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "intermediate state [?betw] 1st + 2d"; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "<8L>"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back, written upside down: "168"
Watermarked, center on back (to be read the correct way around): "BF | K" encircled in a sun design
Lettered center within image: "Ô LABORUM | DULCE LENIMEN"; lettered lower center within image (on tool): "1865"; lettered lower right within image: "Seymour Haden"
Signed in graphite, lower right below image: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Mrs. Emerson Tuttle in memory of Theodore Sizer, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- etcher | figure study | genre subject | hands | still life
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, Ô Laborum, 1865
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.