IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2, after 1880
The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2
- Former Title(s):
Breaking up of the Agammemnon [sic]
- Additional Title(s):
The Breaking Up of the "Agamemnon"
Breaking up of Agamemnon
- after 1880
- Etching and mezzotint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/16 x 22 1/16 inches (38.3 x 56.1 cm), Plate: 10 1/4 x 18 7/8 inches (26 x 48 cm), Image: 9 3/4 x 18 3/8 inches (24.7 x 46.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "No 53 A. Breaking up of Agamemnon | Mezzotint"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "MH 229 II" ("MH" in monogram); inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "X1791 | [?rg]"
Watermarked, lower right: "J WHATMAN | 1871"
Lettered lower left within image: "Seymour Haden 1886" [?1880]
Signed in graphite, lower right below plate marks: "Seymour Haden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | cargo vessels | cityscape | clouds | containers | domes | dreadnought | estuary | flag | harbour | hospital | marine art | masts | men | moon | mooring | navy | night | posts | rigging | river | ropes | sails | sea | seamen | ships | smoke | warships | water | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- Deptford | England | Europe | Greater London | Greenwich | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.