- The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2
- after 1880
- Etching and mezzotint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/16 x 22 1/16 inches (38.3 x 56.1 cm), Plate: 10 1/4 x 18 7/8 inches (26 x 48 cm), and Image: 9 3/4 x 18 3/8 inches (24.7 x 46.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "No 53 A. Breaking up of Agamemnon | Mezzotint"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "MH 229 II" ("MH" in monogram); inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "X1791 | [?rg]"
Watermarked, lower right: "J WHATMAN | 1871"
Lettered lower left within image: "Seymour Haden 1886" [?1880]
Signed in graphite, lower right below plate marks: "Seymour Haden" (partially underlined); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection; Gift of Mrs. Howard Mansfield
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | cargo vessels | cityscape | clouds | containers | domes | dreadnought | estuary | flag | harbour | hospital | marine art | masts | men | moon | mooring | navy | night | posts | rigging | river | ropes | sails | sea | seamen | ships | smoke | warships | water | waves (natural events)
- Associated Places:
- Deptford | England | Europe | Greater London | Greenwich | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Seymour Haden, 1818–1910, British, The Breaking Up of the Agamemnon, no. 2, after 1880
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.