- General Washington
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 21 9/16 x 14 1/8 inches (54.7 x 35.9 cm) and Image: 19 7/8 x 13 1/16 inches (50.5 x 33.1 cm)
Marked in purple ink, on back, lower left, stamped: "(lower half of stamp faded away) School of the Fine"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Gabriel Stuart,1797"; lower center: "GENERAL WASHINGTON. | Published Feby 1, 1800 by Jas Heath, No 12 Newman Street Messrs Boydells, Cheapside & JP Thompson, Great Newport Street, London."; lower right: "Engraved by James Heath Historical Engraver to his Majesty and to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. | from the original Picture in the Collection of the Marquis of Lansdown. | Copy RIght secured in the United States, according to Law"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Yale University Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrows | books | buckles | carpet | columns | cravat | desk | drapery | eagles | feathers | general | gesturing | inkwell | military uniform | portrait | president | solemn | sword | tassels | thoughtful | vest | wig
- Associated People:
- Washington, George (1732–1799), revolutionary army officer and president of the United States of America
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Heath, 1757–1834, British, General Washington, 1800
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.