IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Charles Heath, 1785–1848, British, Benjamin West, Esq., President of the Royal Academy of London, 1818
Benjamin West, Esq., President of the Royal Academy of London
- Line engraving and stipple engraving on thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper with beige chine collé
- Sheet: 19 11/16 x 13 3/8 inches (49.9 x 34 cm), Plate: 14 13/16 x 11 7/16 inches (37.6 x 29 cm), Sheet: 14 3/16 x 10 3/8 inches (36.1 x 26.3 cm), Image: 8 11/16 x 6 1/16 inches (22 x 15.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Proof 25a"; on back, lower right: "6 / - | 25a"
Lettered, lower left: "W. J. Newton. Pinx,,t"; lower center: "BENJAMIN WEST, ESQ.R | PRESIDENT | OF THE | ROYAL ACADEMY OF LONDON: | Dedicated to the Directors of the British Institution, | by their ob,,t Serv,,t | William Jonston White | Published Jan.y 1st, 1818 by W. J. White, 14 Brownlow Street, Holborn, London"; lower right: "C. Heath, Sc/ | Proof"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | book | cravat | drapery | eyeglasses | gaze | history painter | man | old | painter | portrait | president | robe | Royal Academy of Arts | solemn
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.