Benjamin West, Esq., President of the Royal Academy of London
- Line engraving and stipple engraving on thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper with beige chine collé
- Sheet: 19 11/16 x 13 3/8 inches (49.9 x 34 cm), Plate: 14 13/16 x 11 7/16 inches (37.6 x 29 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 14 3/16 x 10 3/8 inches (36.1 x 26.3 cm), and Image: 8 11/16 x 6 1/16 inches (22 x 15.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Proof 25a"; on back, lower right: "6 / - | 25a"
Lettered, lower left: "W. J. Newton. Pinx,,t"; lower center: "BENJAMIN WEST, ESQ.R | PRESIDENT | OF THE | ROYAL ACADEMY OF LONDON: | Dedicated to the Directors of the British Institution, | by their ob,,t Serv,,t | William Jonston White | Published Jan.y 1st, 1818 by W. J. White, 14 Brownlow Street, Holborn, London"; lower right: "C. Heath, Sc/ | Proof"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | book | cravat | drapery | eyeglasses | gaze | history painter | man | old | painter | portrait | president | robe | Royal Academy of Arts | solemn
- Associated People:
- West, Benjamin (1738–1820), American history painter active in Britain
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Charles Heath, 1785–1848, British, Benjamin West, Esq., President of the Royal Academy of London, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.