A Landscape, with the Story of Europa
- Additional Title(s):
Liber Veritatis Volume III, No. 6
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint and etching in brown ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 15/16 x 16 5/8 inches (27.8 x 42.2 cm), Plate: 10 7/8 x 14 1/2 inches (27.6 x 36.9 cm), Image: 9 9/16 x 13 7/16 inches (24.3 x 34.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "9"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "Claude fecit Rome | 1670"; lower left: "Claude, delint. | No. 6."; lower center: "Pub Jan 20, 1802, by J and J Boydell, No. 90, Cheapside & at the Shakspeare Gallery, Pall Mall. | From the Original Drawing in the Collection of R. P. Knight, Esqr.."; lower right: "R. Earlom, sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abduction | assistants | bulls | cattle | chiton | costume | cows | flowers (plants) | god | grazing | Greek mythology | island | Jupiter, usually in the shape of a white bull, abducts Europa and carries her across the water | landscape | leisure | masts | men | mountains | nobility | oars | peplos | princess | rape | religious and mythological subject | rowboats | rowing | sails | sea | ships | shore (landform) | stola | talking | trees | tricking | walking | women
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, A Landscape, with the Story of Europa, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.