A Landscape, with the Story of Europa
- Additional Title(s):
Liber Veritatis Volume III, No. 6
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching in brown ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 15/16 x 16 5/8 inches (27.8 x 42.2 cm), Plate: 10 7/8 x 14 1/2 inches (27.6 x 36.9 cm), and Image: 9 9/16 x 13 7/16 inches (24.3 x 34.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "9"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "Claude fecit Rome | 1670"; lower left: "Claude, delint. | No. 6."; lower center: "Pub Jan 20, 1802, by J and J Boydell, No. 90, Cheapside & at the Shakspeare Gallery, Pall Mall. | From the Original Drawing in the Collection of R. P. Knight, Esqr.."; lower right: "R. Earlom, sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abduction | assistants | bulls | cattle | chiton | costume | cows | flowers (plants) | island | Jupiter, usually in the shape of a white bull, abducts Europa and carries her across the water | landscape | leisure | masts | men | mountains | nobility | oars | peplos | princess | rape | rowboats | sails | sea | ships | shore (landform) | stola | trees | walking | women
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Earlom, 1743–1822, British, A Landscape, with the Story of Europa, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.