Sir Joshua Reynolds
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Plate: 19 x 15in. (48.3 x 38.1cm), Sheet: 22 1/2 x 17 3/4in. (57.2 x 45.1cm), Image: 17 3/4 x 15 inches (45.1 x 38.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen, lower left: "Sir Joshua Reynolds, painted to be placed in the collection of the Portraits of Painters [...]y of Florence, where alas! like too many other of the productions of his Pencil, [...] 1780, became evanescent."; in graphite, lower right: "pd [...] very [...] £2:12:5"
Watermark: Paris (?) 1768 [Heawood 2997]
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds"; center: "Published Decemr. 1st, 1780, by V. Green, No 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street."; lower right: "Engraved by V. Green, Mezzotint Engraver to his Majesty, & to the Elector Palatine."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Associated People:
- Reynolds, Sir Joshua (1723–1792), portrait and history painter and art theorist
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Rembrandt in Eighteenth Century England (Yale Center for British Art, 1983-10-19 - 1983-12-30) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Painters and Engraving - The Reproductive Print from Hogarth to Wilkie (Yale Center for British Art, 1980-03-26 - 1980-06-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Peter Funnell, John Scarlett Davis : The Interior of the British Institution Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1984, pp.[ 4 ], [7 ], cat. no. 7, V 0103 (YCBA) [YCBA]