David Garrick in the Character of 'Kitely'
- Additional Title(s):
'Every Man in his Humour', Act ii, Scene i
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 7/8 × 10 13/16 inches (37.8 × 27.5 cm) and Image: 13 3/8 × 10 13/16 inches (34 × 27.5 cm)
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: "Paul Mellon Collection"
Lettered, lower left: "J: Reynolds pinx.t"; lower center: "Publish'd Feb:y 1st: 1769 | Mr. GARRICK in the Character of KITELY; | Every Man in his Humor. Act 2d,, Scene 1,,st~~ | Sold by M:r Parker, N:o 82 Cornhill, & Mr Finalyson in Berwick Street Soho."; lower right: "J: Finlayson Fec:t"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buttons | cape | cloak | collar | embroidery | Every Man in His Humour (1598), play by Benjamin Jonson (1572-1637) | lace | literary theme | posing | tassels | vest
- Associated People:
- Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
Kitely, a merchant (character in Ben Jonson's 'Every Man in his Humour'
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Finlayson, 1730–1776, British, David Garrick in the Character of 'Kitely', 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.